Grounded in the Word
Whenever I strike up a conversation with the people that I meet, I often find myself trying really hard to understand where they are coming from. You can say that I was trying to place myself in their shoes. Its kind of interesting how my natural inclination tends to follow this course. No wonder I'm doing a minor in Psychology. But as I also find myself being very sympathetic as I try to gain a better grasp of the individual. Although this feeling is a tremendous help in understanding them, I do find myself restrained at times.
Last Sunday, P.T was preaching about King Saul as he continued along the series "Heroes and Villains of the Faith". Saul 'could've been a great King', but because of his lack of self confidence he has failed in the many occurrences that God has granted him with to establish him as one of Israel's greatest King (1 Samuel 15). What sticks out for me is how the fear of others hindered Saul from listening to the Lord. I know that I've been praying to conquer this fear and I'm still in the process of it. So this summer, one of my goals is whenever I dive into any conversation I have to be prepared to base my judgments and thinking based on the word. This is not to say that I'm undermining reasoning from my own experiences. I do agree that experience is a good foundation (and schema) when you converse with someone. But the word of God stands forever. "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God" (John 1:1). Over the course of the summer, I've been focusing on trying to discipline myself in familiarizing myself with the Bible. I thank God that the fellowship that I've been involved with place a heavy emphasis on this aspect. The Bible studies that I participated in and the Bible memorization ministry are some of the things that God has provided me with over the course of this summer to help me build upon this desire to know Him better and better through the Word.
Every time I read the Bible, I try to ask myself these questions: Where is God in this passage? What does the passage say about me? What application can I take from this passage?
I was reading through Paul's prayer for the Ephesians which I found very comforting:
For this reason, I kneel before the Father, from whom ever family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of His glorious riches, He may strengthen you with power through His Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ might dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have the power together with all the saints to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ and to know this love that surpasses knowledge - that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more that all we ask or imagine - according to the power that is at work within us. To Him be the glory, in the church and in Christ Jesus, throughout all generations forever and ever, Amen.
Comments
Post a Comment