Waterloo Life (so far)

I haven't really explained what a regular day in Waterloo for me looks like, here it goes:

8am - wake up, shower, brush teeth
8:30am - breakfast + Devos
9am - leave house

9:15-12pm - Work (I'm a software tester, lots of writing/executing test cases)
12-12:50pm - Lunch (its free yay)
12:50-3pm - Work
3-3:15pm - Coffee break (I mostly walk around)
3:15-5:15 - more Work

5:15-11:30pm - all up in the air haha

I guess that's the nice thing about co-op life. You don't need to worry about homework, midterm, exams, etc. I usually come home and cook dinner with my roommates. Still trying to adjust to the whole sharing groceries + cooking together (always). Back in Vancouver, I never do this. Each guy will cook their own food (although we have community meal once a week). Its been interesting so far but I don't know if I can keep it up (since some of the guys are just learning how to cook). It can be pretty hard trying to come up with what food to make every night. Hence, the power of delegation. I'll start asking the others to plan what food we should make for dinner ahead of time. On the plus side, my cooking recipes repertoire has grown significantly.

Other than that (which can consume quite a bit of time), I spend my time jamming on the guitar, watching Community or Code Geass, or reading le Bible. I'll be honest, I will miss this kind-of-life when I return to school in Sept, so I will make the most out of it!

Waterloo is definitely different from Vancouver. My friend who worked at Waterloo RIM before mentioned that there's nothing to do here. I guess there is some truth in that (esp. if you compare it to a big city like Vancouver). But I would argue that its the people that matters more. I am so thankful to God that I can join CCF right from the night I flew into Waterloo. I can safely say that I am a people person. Constantly in need of fellowship. Yet I do miss my coffee talks in Vancouver but its a different environment, different people, and I'm open to this new change.

I'm also thankful that God has placed me in a church right from the start as well. I can definitely sense the closeness between the congregation - I suppose the fact that 95% of the members are all CCF/Waterloo students help.

The UCM community did a study by Tim Keller last summer and I remember one particular session where he talked about Jeremiah 29. I'm paraphrasing this but the gist is wherever you are, God has put you there for a reason. Whether you are in exile in Babylon, or travelling through the desert, or doing a RIM co-op in Waterloo - there is always a reason. And we are called to be a blessing to our surroundings wherever God has placed us in. So I intend to do that with my four months here in Waterloo. Whatever gifts or talents (that I don't even know of), I plan on using them to glorify Him here. He has done so much for me, my mind can't even fathom its immensity. Its definitely a humbling experience when you realize (or remind yourself) that really, you don't deserve what you have right now. Possessions. Employment. Relationships. Forgiveness.

Jesus paid it all.
All to him I owe.
Sin has left a crimson stain,
He washed it white as snow. 


Comments

  1. Great post, Kevin! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpWXnlb6vYE makes great background music for this. It's so awesome to hear you're enjoying your time in Waterloo and really taking a lot from it/able to put a lot into the community there! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Patience is a virtue...

2 Timothy 2:11

I will climb this mountain...