Starting Over
I never thought that I would like Macklemore, but this particular song really stood out to me. It speaks about his struggle with substance abuse and the regrets that he had to endure with when he relapsed. For some reason, I can relate to that. I (we) struggle with sin and sometimes it seems helpless. But thanks to God's grace and love, we persevere. I love the line at the end of the song:
"If I can be an example of getting sober... then I can be an example of starting over."
For me, if I can be an example of leaving my life of sin ... then when I do fall I can be an example of starting over b/c my motivation lies in my love for Jesus Christ.
Its true that we will be tempted and at times we fall (since the battle with sin is ongoing). But its never too late to start over because of the love that Jesus poured out on us at the cross. He didn't die because we asked Him to save us or because we deserve it. No way! Because of our sin, we deserve death as penalty. Yet it is out of his own decision and following the Father's will (ie. His own love to save us and desire for us to enter back into a relationship with Him) that he took all the crap we've done and destroy them completely so that we don't die. When I sin (and I know that I will), I don't want to be dragged down by guilt. The love of Christ is endless and sufficient. So, I will turn back to Jesus and confess what I've done wrong, remember what He has done for me, and walk alongside with Him throughout my life - filled with wonder and awe at what Jesus has done for me and is doing in me right now. That's my prayer for now and forever.
"If I can be an example of getting sober... then I can be an example of starting over."
For me, if I can be an example of leaving my life of sin ... then when I do fall I can be an example of starting over b/c my motivation lies in my love for Jesus Christ.
Its true that we will be tempted and at times we fall (since the battle with sin is ongoing). But its never too late to start over because of the love that Jesus poured out on us at the cross. He didn't die because we asked Him to save us or because we deserve it. No way! Because of our sin, we deserve death as penalty. Yet it is out of his own decision and following the Father's will (ie. His own love to save us and desire for us to enter back into a relationship with Him) that he took all the crap we've done and destroy them completely so that we don't die. When I sin (and I know that I will), I don't want to be dragged down by guilt. The love of Christ is endless and sufficient. So, I will turn back to Jesus and confess what I've done wrong, remember what He has done for me, and walk alongside with Him throughout my life - filled with wonder and awe at what Jesus has done for me and is doing in me right now. That's my prayer for now and forever.
Comments
Post a Comment