break;
Initially, I considered my time here in the east as a break from Vancouver. In a way, it has been a good break. I've been involved with UCM since my second year, and this includes the summer semesters as well. Its nice to see how God works in different parts of the world (even though I'm still in Canada). CCF is different from UCM and I'm just beginning to appreciate the difference. Coming into CCF, I knew that the fellowship will tend to lean more on the conservative side. Hence, during my time here, I have to withhold some of the things that I usually do back in Vancouver. But really, it doesn't seem bad at all. It has been a blessing being here in CCF. Although I was raised in a conservative family, I grew up in a liberal environment at UBC. I find that I don't really have a preference of one view over the other. You can say that I'm somewhere in the middle or that I'm pretty accommodating towards both views. As I become more involved with the ministries in CCF, I begin to appreciate some of their views and routines like:
1) The focus on grounding oneself with the word. Never in my life have I been feeling excited to memorize the scripture. I discover that the Bible is filled with beautiful passages and the doctrines that goes behind these passages are truly admirable. This is definitely a big focus in my life. The truth is... I don't really know much of the Bible at all. Its always exciting whenever I talk to my friend, Jacky. He is a very wise mentor and an awesome brother. Whenever we talk, I always discover something new about the Bible. Whether its context or its structure, there are just so many things that I didn't know! This pushes me to explore this precious word of God more and more this summer.
2) Hymns and old worship songs. I love them. I grew up with them and its nice to continually glorify God who deserves all our praises with all sorts of worship styles. Also, I feel its important to not forget the original hymns, which contains some pretty powerful words of praise.
3) Reserved. Ok. This is another big one. I find that I am a very emotional person. Consequently, I like to talk to my brothers and sisters about what I'm going through. Although it is encouraged in the Bible to (Eph 5:11-14) keep each other accountable and share what you're going through, I find that I began to share my problems just to gain pity. Once God revealed this to me, I was shock. I was appalled at myself. God wants me to come DIRECTLY to Him. He is the source of all comfort, of all peace. He is the one who reconciles all the pain that I experience. He is the one who forgives all my wrongdoings. Therefore, I am learning to be more reserved this summer.
A man of knowledge uses words with restraint, and a man of understanding is even-tempered. Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue. -Proverbs 17:27-28
4) Relationship. Interestingly, there are not too many couples in CCF. I remember one of my buddy jokingly said that UCM stands for United Couples in Marriage; there is some truth to that statement. For the past two summer in UCM, I've been involved in two weddings (yes, a wedding for each summer). Furthermore, I am literally surrounded with couples in the GHouse (place I live in Vancouver). Don't get me wrong, I believe that relationship is a gift from God. In contrast, when I moved to Waterloo, all of my roommates are bachelors. I begin to understand that singleness is a gift from God that is as equal as relationships. I am enjoying this gift more and more everyday. Soaking myself in the steadfast wave of love of an all-sufficient God who cares for me unconditionally. I build new relationships with different people in CCF, in my workplace, and in church. Am I 'kissing dating goodbye'? Eh... sort of? For now, I desire to continue to fall in love, more and more, with my God. I desire to bless the community that He has placed for me in these four months.
5) Community. The big difference that I find between CCF and UCM is the focus on community. From my observation and experience with UCM, it seems that this fellowship place a heavy focus on building leaders up, solidifying/investing in relationships, etc. Physical expressiveness and affections are commonly found within UCM. The CCF fellowship don't display as much of those things. My initial exposure with CCF made me think that because there is a lack of those things, the community might not be as close. I was gravely mistaken. Although I don't see those traits, the CCF community works. Its still a closely-knit community with brothers and sisters in Christ that have a heart for God and for each other - building each other up in the body of Christ, till unity in faith and knowledge of the Son of God is reached. And to become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ (Eph 4:13). But lets not forget that God is truly the driving formula behind every sort of community and fellowship. God is definitely present in CCF, God is definitely present in UCM, and as brothers and sisters in Christ, whether in Vancouver or Waterloo, we all should press on towards a common goal and prize - Christ Jesus our Lord.
Comments
Post a Comment