Spending time with God = More blessing?
One of the misassumptions that I often had (and still guilty of) is that when I spend time with God, He will bless me with more things. Its kind of like earning God's approval by deeds. This is such a preliminary error yet I keep on falling into the same habit over and over again. And if I did put in some time with God and not receive the result that I want, I get disappointed. Such is the case this year, where I try to put God first (more than my other years at university) yet the results that I receive in my classes were not what I anticipated. I've put in quite a bit of time and effort in my courses as well, yet it's still hard to get the marks that I wanted.
This circular trap gets me every time.
God doesn't want His children to come to Him with an expectation that He will bless us in return. He wants us to come to him with a desire for him and him alone. He wants us to come to him, without expecting God will give His blessing to us in return - no string attached. The fact that He is God, three in one, the Trinity, made him complete. He has given us the ultimate gift, by His son Jesus dying on the cross. So I am guilty of looking at God this way. I am such a selfish, broken being that I don't deserve him at all. He is the one who deserves my praise and all the glory and power and honor. Oh boy, am I guilty (after looking at what I just wrote)... and I do confess this sin of mine to you, God. Help me understand that I should spend time with you, not because you need me, but it's because of the other way around. I need you, Lord, to rule over my life. I need you to be involved within every aspect of my studies. Whatever the result may be, I give you praise.
That is to say, it doesn't hurt to ask God to pour out his blessings upon me. He is a God that give good gifts to his children.
"When he ascended on high, he took many captives and gave gifts to his people" (Eph 4:8)
So I pray heavenly Father that I may continually pursue you since you are my goal and prize.
This circular trap gets me every time.
God doesn't want His children to come to Him with an expectation that He will bless us in return. He wants us to come to him with a desire for him and him alone. He wants us to come to him, without expecting God will give His blessing to us in return - no string attached. The fact that He is God, three in one, the Trinity, made him complete. He has given us the ultimate gift, by His son Jesus dying on the cross. So I am guilty of looking at God this way. I am such a selfish, broken being that I don't deserve him at all. He is the one who deserves my praise and all the glory and power and honor. Oh boy, am I guilty (after looking at what I just wrote)... and I do confess this sin of mine to you, God. Help me understand that I should spend time with you, not because you need me, but it's because of the other way around. I need you, Lord, to rule over my life. I need you to be involved within every aspect of my studies. Whatever the result may be, I give you praise.
That is to say, it doesn't hurt to ask God to pour out his blessings upon me. He is a God that give good gifts to his children.
"When he ascended on high, he took many captives and gave gifts to his people" (Eph 4:8)
So I pray heavenly Father that I may continually pursue you since you are my goal and prize.
Comments
Post a Comment