Another random blurb
I want to blog this before I forget.
So often I find myself wanting to belong to a certain social group. It can be a circle of friends, a church group, or a workplace. There is a multitude of things that accompany this feeling. The sense of identity and comfort are amongst them. But as I reflect on these things and measure them against what Jesus has taught me, I began to see a striking difference. Jesus said that in order to follow Him, we must deny everything in our lives - even our very own selves. When God has welcomed us into His family, we don't really need to supply ourselves with extra stuff. He welcomed us, just as we are - especially when we are broken and desperate to find meaning in our lives.
This is not new to me, but its always refreshing when it is revealed to me in a new light.
Here's an analogy: during the weekend, I was spending some time at home with my parents. Unfortunately, I got sick over the weekend but I have to go back to my 'rental' place since I have a presentation for the next day. So I asked my parents if I could spend the night back at their place and take the bus to school the day after. They were a bit surprised, reminding me that I still live there. Although their act is seemingly small, I do appreciate how they remind me the importance of family. What's more astounding is how God kept reminding me that I belong with I also belong with Him in His family. And when I do feel lonely, I need to remember that I have already been accepted in something greater than what the world offers.
"You can have all this world; but give me Jesus."
So often I find myself wanting to belong to a certain social group. It can be a circle of friends, a church group, or a workplace. There is a multitude of things that accompany this feeling. The sense of identity and comfort are amongst them. But as I reflect on these things and measure them against what Jesus has taught me, I began to see a striking difference. Jesus said that in order to follow Him, we must deny everything in our lives - even our very own selves. When God has welcomed us into His family, we don't really need to supply ourselves with extra stuff. He welcomed us, just as we are - especially when we are broken and desperate to find meaning in our lives.
This is not new to me, but its always refreshing when it is revealed to me in a new light.
Here's an analogy: during the weekend, I was spending some time at home with my parents. Unfortunately, I got sick over the weekend but I have to go back to my 'rental' place since I have a presentation for the next day. So I asked my parents if I could spend the night back at their place and take the bus to school the day after. They were a bit surprised, reminding me that I still live there. Although their act is seemingly small, I do appreciate how they remind me the importance of family. What's more astounding is how God kept reminding me that I belong with I also belong with Him in His family. And when I do feel lonely, I need to remember that I have already been accepted in something greater than what the world offers.
"You can have all this world; but give me Jesus."
Comments
Post a Comment